incorporating options to minimize the environmental footprints of a cleanup
- Expanded Spreadsheets for Environmental Footprint Assessment (SEFA) tutorial now available
- Recent ESTCP reports on passive polyethylene sampling to assess contaminant distribution and bioavailability in sediment
- Updated Greener Cleanups Contracting and Administration Toolkit to help plan and incorporate BMPs
- Technology News and Trends newsletter issue featuring environmental footprint reductions of cleanup at selected Superfund, brownfield, mining and federal sites
- Updated fact sheet providing an overview of green remediation BMPs
- News archives...
- March 21-24 International Conference on Soil, Water, Energy, and Air in San Diego
- March 22-23 Groundwater High-Resolution Site Characterization training in Denver
- April 26-28 International Conference on Sustainable Remediation in Montreal
- More on the calendar...
The Public Building Commission of Chicago used the ASTM Standard Guide for Greener Cleanups (E2893-13) to develop a cleanup strategy for a brownfield adjoining the city's Whitney Young Branch Library. Development of the strategy involved using EPA's Spreadsheets for Environmental Assessment to quantify the environmental footprint of cleanup activities and prioritizing best management practices ultimately used for remedy design and construction. In addition to reducing the cleanup footprint, implementation of the strategy helped reduce the originally estimated cleanup cost by nearly 50%. This municipal project merited a 2015 Illinois Governor's Sustainability Award.
in the field
Best Management Practice (BMP)
- An Overview (PDF) (2 pp, 231K) *Update*
- Excavation and Surface Restoration (PDF) (4 pp, 238K)
- Site Investigation (PDF) (4 pp, 179K)
- Pump and Treat Technologies (PDF) (8 pp, 225K)
- Bioremediation (PDF) (4 pp, 176K)
- Soil Vapor Extraction & Air Sparging (PDF) (4 pp, 131K)
- Clean Fuel & Emission Technologies for Site Cleanup (PDF) (10 pp, 354K)
- Integrating Renewable Energy into Site Cleanup (PDF) (8 pp, 335K)
- Sites with Leaking Underground Storage Tank Systems (PDF) (6 pp, 448K)
- Landfill Cover Systems & Energy Production (PDF) (6 pp, 465K)
- Overview of EPA's Methodology to Address the Environmental Footprint of Site Cleanup (PDF) (2 pp, 176K)
- Mining Sites (PDF) (6 pp, 535K)
- Implementing In Situ Thermal Technologies (PDF) (6 pp, 249K)
- Materials and Waste Management (PDF) (4pp, 397K)
GR Technology Primer (PDF) (56 pp, 814K):
Incorporating Sustainable Environmental Practices into Remediation of Contaminated Sites
- EPA Strategic Plan, FY 2014-2018
- ...EPA's hazardous waste programs also are working to reduce the energy use and environmental footprint during the investigation and remediation of hazardous waste sites.
Goal 3: Cleaning Up Communities and Advancing Sustainable Development
EPA's Methodology for Understanding and Reducing a Project's Environmental Footprint uses 21 metrics and a seven-step process to quantify energy, air, water, and materials & waste comprising the environmental footprint of a remedy. The supporting Spreadsheets for Environmental Footprint Analysis (SEFA) workbooks are available to help users estimate each of the methodology's metrics on a site-specific basis. Related background studies, examples, and data gathering tools offer additional information of value to environmental footprint assessment.
Learn about executive orders, requirements, and guidance on energy and water management, green purchasing, and environmental stewardship
Questions and comments about EPA's green remediation efforts may be forwarded to:
Carlos Pachon, Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation.