RCRA Corrective Action
EPA Region 9 conducted a study to quantify the environmental footprints of three remedial alternatives for corrective action at a closed waste disposal unit at the former BP Products North America, Inc. oil refinery in Wood River, IL (BP Wood River). Primary study parameters include the generation of greenhouse gas, criteria pollutants, and air toxics, and use of water during remedy construction, operations and maintenance, and long-term monitoring. The study explores the level of detail needed to make informed decisions that reduce the environmental footprint of implementing a typical remedy and uses new methods to:
- Identify or develop footprint conversion factors for energy, materials, and services involved in remedy implementation
- Estimate footprints of up to 15 environmental parameters for implementing the remedial alternatives
- Estimate the footprint contribution from onsite activities, transportation, and non-transportation offsite activities
- Identify components of the remedial alternatives that significantly affect the footprint and other components with negligible effects, and
- Conduct a sensitivity analysis for variations in remedy design, conversion factors, or other input values.
Remedial alternatives for BP Wood River involved phytoremediation, leachate extraction, and regrading of the landfill cap. The study methodology, results, and additional details are provided in:
- Environmental Footprint Analysis of Three Potential Remedies: BP Wood River, Wood River, IL (PDF) (249 pp, 3.61MB) Final Report, November 15, 2010
This file includes a 5-page executive summary and a 41-page report. It also includes approximately 190 pages of technical support information in supplemental charts and three appendices:
- Appendix A: Remedy Inventory Sheets. This is a set of spreadsheet modules that document remedy parameters and calculate the level of effort and use of fuel, electricity, water, and materials for the remedy alternatives.
- Appendix B: Footprint Conversion Factors. This is a reference table with documentation for footprint conversions factors for energy, materials, and offsite services (such as waste management).
- Appendix C: Footprint Analysis Spreadsheet Output. This provides all data generated in the footprint analysis regarding onsite activities, transportation, and offsite activities for the remedy alternatives.
If you have thoughts or comments on this Study:
EPA is interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas about this Study. We plan to conduct analyses similar to this one at additional sites, improving the framework of the analysis at each step. Comments or questions can be forwarded to: