incorporating options to minimize the environmental footprints of a cleanup
- Updated U.S. climate change indicators to help assess factors influencing environmental quality
- Perspectives on green and sustainable remediation practices in federal agency cleanup programs
- EPA toolkit now available for green infrastructure modeling
- Updated NIST Building Life Cycle Cost (BLCC) software to evaluate energy and water conservation and renewable energy integration
- Recent ESTCP field testing of new direct-push optical screening technology for subsurface chlorinated solvent DNAPL mapping
- New EPA study on monetized benefits of groundwater recharge from stormwater retention practices
- News archives...
- December 14 webinar on EPA's green infrastructure modeling toolkit
- January 9 short course in New Orleans on passive sampling of hydrophobic organic compounds at sediment sites
- January 9-12 Ninth International Conference on Remediation and Management of Contaminated Sediments in New Orleans
- More on the calendar...
View the new video on Green Remediation at Lawrence Aviation Site
Corrective action at the former St. Croix Alumina Plant in Kingshill, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, involves a green remediation strategy capitalizing on off-grid renewable energy systems, optimized pumping techniques and beneficial use of recovered petroleum product. Fixed and mobile photovoltaic systems now meet 100% of the electricity demand of pumps used to extract and transfer commingled oil and groundwater.
in the field
Best Management Practice (BMP)
- An Overview (PDF) (2 pp, 231K)
- Excavation and Surface Restoration (PDF) (4 pp, 238K)
- Site Investigation and Environmental Monitoring (PDF) (4 pp, 179K) *Update*
- Pump and Treat Technologies (PDF) (8 pp, 225K)
- Bioremediation (PDF) (4 pp, 176K)
- Soil Vapor Extraction & Air Sparging (PDF) (4 pp, 131K)
- Clean Fuel & Emission Technologies for Site Cleanup (PDF) (10 pp, 354K)
- Integrating Renewable Energy into Site Cleanup (PDF) (8 pp, 335K)
- Sites with Leaking Underground Storage Tank Systems (PDF) (6 pp, 448K)
- Landfill Cover Systems & Energy Production (PDF) (6 pp, 465K)
- Overview of EPA's Methodology to Address the Environmental Footprint of Site Cleanup (PDF) (2 pp, 176K)
- Mining Sites (PDF) (6 pp, 535K)
- Implementing In Situ Thermal Technologies (PDF) (6 pp, 249K)
- Materials and Waste Management (PDF) (4pp, 397K)
GR Technology Primer (PDF) (56 pp, 814K):
Incorporating Sustainable Environmental Practices into Remediation of Contaminated Sites
- EPA Strategic Plan, FY 2014-2018
- ...EPA's hazardous waste programs also are working to reduce the energy use and environmental footprint during the investigation and remediation of hazardous waste sites.
Goal 3: Cleaning Up Communities and Advancing Sustainable Development
- Principles for Greener Cleanups
- Superfund Green Remediation Strategy
- EPA guidance on greener cleanup activities under CERCLA *New*
- EPA regional policies
- State resources
- ASTM Standard Guide for Greener Cleanups *Update*
- EPA announcement of upcoming remediation environmental services solicitation (SOL-HQ-14-00023) *New*
EPA's Methodology for Understanding and Reducing a Project's Environmental Footprint uses 21 metrics and a seven-step process to quantify energy, air, water, and materials & waste comprising the environmental footprint of a remedy. The supporting Spreadsheets for Environmental Footprint Analysis (SEFA) workbooks are available to help users estimate each of the methodology's metrics on a site-specific basis. Related background studies, examples, and data gathering tools offer additional information of value to environmental footprint assessment.
Learn about executive orders, requirements, and guidance on energy and water management, green purchasing, and environmental stewardship
Questions and comments about EPA's green remediation efforts may be forwarded to:
Carlos Pachon, Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation.