U.S. EPA Contaminated Site Cleanup Information (CLU-IN)


U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
U.S. EPA Technology Innovation and Field Services Division

Search Result

FIELD DEMONSTRATION OF SOLAR-POWERED ELECTROCOAGULATION WATER TREATMENT SYSTEM FOR PURIFYING GROUNDWATER CONTAMINATED BY BOTH TOTAL COLIFORMS AND ARSENIC
Oh, C., S. Pak, Y.-S. Han, N.T.H. Ha, M. Hong, and S. Ji.
Environmental Technology [Published online 19 June prior to print]

An electrocoagulation reactor water treatment system using Fe electrodes and a filtration tank was designed to treat complex coliform and As-contaminated groundwater near the Red River in Vietnam. The water treatment system reduced 10.3 CFU/mL of total coliform and 376 µg/L of As(III) in the groundwater to 0 CFU/mL and 6.68 µg/L, respectively. Total coliforms were attenuated by Fe(II) infiltration or enmeshed during Fe precipitate formation. Of the total As, 43% formed As(III) complexation with the Fe precipitates and the other 57% was oxidized to As(V) and then adsorbed to Fe precipitates. The Fe precipitates that contained coliforms and As were separated from the discharge water in the filtration tank. The system required 49 W of power to operate, or 423 kWh/year, to continuously purify 0.5 t water/day. This requirement was powered by a 380-750 W solar panel, without external energy supply.



The Technology Innovation News Survey welcomes your comments and suggestions, as well as information about errors for correction. Please contact Michael Adam of the U.S. EPA Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation at adam.michael@epa.gov or (703) 603-9915 with any comments, suggestions, or corrections.

Mention of non-EPA documents, presentations, or papers does not constitute a U.S. EPA endorsement of their contents, only an acknowledgment that they exist and may be relevant to the Technology Innovation News Survey audience.