incorporating options to minimize the environmental footprints of a cleanup
- Analyzing ecosystem services through use of the expanding EnviroAtlas geospatial platform
- Choosing and procuring products with recycled content
- Finding performance-verified turbines and certified installers for small wind energy applications
- Determining biologically relevant sampling depth for terrestrial and aquatic ecological risk assessments
- News archives...
- April 25 CLU-IN webinar on An Integrated Approach to Sustainable Solutions: Session I - Introducing the Big Picture
- May 22 Green and Sustainable Remediation Boot Camp: Preparing for Success short course in Palm Springs
- More on the calendar...
View the new video on Green Remediation at Lawrence Aviation Site
Remedial design, construction and operations at the Lawrence Aviation Industries site in Port Jefferson Station, New York, have involved using geothermal energy, maximizing energy efficiencies in groundwater extraction and treatment, purchasing green materials and products, and conserving water and other natural resources. The U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program served as a platform to select environmentally friendly techniques for designing and constructing the groundwater treatment buildings.
in the field
Best Management Practice (BMP)
- An Overview (PDF) (2 pp, 231K) *Update*
- Excavation and Surface Restoration (PDF) (4 pp, 238K)
- Site Investigation (PDF) (4 pp, 179K)
- Pump and Treat Technologies (PDF) (8 pp, 225K)
- Bioremediation (PDF) (4 pp, 176K)
- Soil Vapor Extraction & Air Sparging (PDF) (4 pp, 131K)
- Clean Fuel & Emission Technologies for Site Cleanup (PDF) (10 pp, 354K)
- Integrating Renewable Energy into Site Cleanup (PDF) (8 pp, 335K)
- Sites with Leaking Underground Storage Tank Systems (PDF) (6 pp, 448K)
- Landfill Cover Systems & Energy Production (PDF) (6 pp, 465K)
- Overview of EPA's Methodology to Address the Environmental Footprint of Site Cleanup (PDF) (2 pp, 176K)
- Mining Sites (PDF) (6 pp, 535K)
- Implementing In Situ Thermal Technologies (PDF) (6 pp, 249K)
- Materials and Waste Management (PDF) (4pp, 397K)
GR Technology Primer (PDF) (56 pp, 814K):
Incorporating Sustainable Environmental Practices into Remediation of Contaminated Sites
- EPA Strategic Plan, FY 2014-2018
- ...EPA's hazardous waste programs also are working to reduce the energy use and environmental footprint during the investigation and remediation of hazardous waste sites.
Goal 3: Cleaning Up Communities and Advancing Sustainable Development
EPA's Methodology for Understanding and Reducing a Project's Environmental Footprint uses 21 metrics and a seven-step process to quantify energy, air, water, and materials & waste comprising the environmental footprint of a remedy. The supporting Spreadsheets for Environmental Footprint Analysis (SEFA) workbooks are available to help users estimate each of the methodology's metrics on a site-specific basis. Related background studies, examples, and data gathering tools offer additional information of value to environmental footprint assessment.
Learn about executive orders, requirements, and guidance on energy and water management, green purchasing, and environmental stewardship
Questions and comments about EPA's green remediation efforts may be forwarded to:
Carlos Pachon, Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation.