Characterization, Cleanup, and Revitalization of Mining Sites
Training and Events
September 22, 2022 | 1:00 - 3:15 PM EDT
This webinar by the Interstate Technology and Regulatory Council will describe practical steps to manage complex sites like mining sites using the "adaptive site management" approach and will present case studies of real-world applications.
October 7, 2022 | 1:00 - 3:00 PM EDT
One of the presentations included in this webinar by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences will describe the role of the microbiome in the reclamation of mine wastes generated by hardrock mining in arid regions.
- 12th International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD)
September 18-24, 2022 | Virtual
The theme of ICARD 2022 is, "Proactive Measures and Lasting Outcomes", and will explore new knowledge and capabilities and their impact to manage acid rock drainage. Suggested topics include mine planning, active and passive treatment, regulatory policy, and designing, managing, and closing of mine waste facilities.
- San Juan Mining and Reclamation Conference
September 29-30 | Ouray, Colorado
This annual conference includes sessions on the science and policy of mining, remediation, and managing mine water quality as it relates to non-point source pollution.
- 15th International Conference on Mine Closure
October 4-6, 2022 | Brisbane, QLD, Australia
This conference will explore a range of topics including, mine closure objectives and criteria, contaminant cleanup, water management, acid mine drainage, and outcome-based risk management. Case studies will also be presented.
- Mine Drainage Task Force Symposium
October 4-5, 2022 | Morgantown, West Virginia
This symposium will cover new developments in mine drainage research and treatment and control practices.
- Mine-Impacted Water Conference - Closing the Water Loop
October 12-13, 2022 | Randburg, Johannesburg
This in-person and virtual conference hosted by the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM), in collaboration with the University of the Witwatersrand and Mintek, will discuss innovative mine water treatment technologies, mine closure, and emerging strategies to sustainably manage mine-impacted water and AMD.
- 43rd Annual Conference of the National Association of Abandoned Mine Land Programs
October 16-20, 2022 | Grand Junction, Colorado
Suggested topics for the 2022 NAAMLP conference include AMD characterization and treatment, beneficial use of waste materials, stream restoration techniques, and innovative reclamation techniques.
- Tailings and Mine Waste 2022
November 6-9, 2022 | Denver, Colorado
Event will explore the latest developments in managing mine waste and mill tailings with a focus on site characterization and monitoring, reclamation and remediation, and water management.
- International Mine Water Association (IMWA)
November 6-10, 2022 | Christchurch, New Zealand
The November 2022 IMWA Reconnect conference will highlight leading research and deployment of innovative passive treatment technologies. Other topics include waste rock and tailings storage, mine hydrogeology, legacy mine impacts and clean up, and mine closure.
- Life of Mine - Maintaining Sustainability Through Geoscience
November 14-17, 2022 | Virtual
Suggested topics for this symposium hosted by the International Council on Mining and Metals include mine rehabilitation and reclamation planning and implementation.
- 29th Annual BC MEND ML/ARD Workshop
November 30 - December 1, 2022 | Vancouver, BC, Canada
This workshop will present solutions to challenges of metal leaching and acid rock drainage.
Visit these links for copies of the presentation materials.
- Restoring the Community Fabric — Planning Redevelopment of the US Finishing/Cone Mills Superfund Site (May 2022)
- Ehrenfeld AML Pilot Reclamation/Recreation & Watershed Improvement Project (December 2021)
- Ecosystem Services — Benefits and Considerations for the Cleanup of Contaminated Mine Sites (September 2021)
- Mining Webinar Series: Assessment and Rehabilitation of Humid Region Mine Sites and Wastes (May 2021)
- Mining Webinar Series: Evaluation of Rotating Cylinder Treatment System™ at Elizabeth Mine, Vermont (March 2021)
- Revegetation of Mine Wastes in Arid Environments: Linking Above- and Below-Ground Performance (August 2020)
- Eagle Mine Superfund Site Case Study (January 21, 2020)
- Substrate Longevity and Long-Term Performance of Biochemical Reactors for Passive Treatment of Mine-Impacted Water (November 25, 2019)
- Mine and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop: Session 1 Site Characterization; Session 2 Emergency Management; Session 3 Innovative Technologies and Strategies; Session 4 Big Data (October 2019)
- Considerations for Bulkheading Drainage Mine Tunnels (October 2019)
- Long-Term Performance of Biochemical Reactors for Passive Treatment of Mine-Impacted Water (April 23, 2019)
- Successful Implementation of Biologically-Based Passive Remediation Systems (May 1, 2018)
- Ecological Revitalization at the Henry's Knob Former Mining Site (March 6, 2018)
- Matching Biochar Characteristics with Metals-Contaminated Soils to Effectively Reduce Metal Bioavailability at Mining Sites (November 7, 2017)
- FRTR Presents...Heavy Metals-Mining Site Characterization and Treatment Session 3 (August 10, 2017)
- FRTR Presents...Heavy Metals-Mining Site Characterization and Treatment Session 2 (July 26, 2017)
- FRTR Presents...Heavy Metals-Mining Site Characterization and Treatment Session 1 (July 10, 2017)
- Overview, Lessons Learned and Best Practices Derived from Independent Optimization Reviews of Superfund Mining Sites (May 24, 2017)
- Re-imagining the Future of Mining Sites (December 7, 2016)
- Passive Treatment of Mining-Influenced Water: From Bench Scale to O&M (November 14, 2016)
- NEPA and Mining 101, Part 3: Regulatory Process & How the Public and Tribes can Engage (June 8, 2016)
- NEPA and Mining 101, Part 2: Mining Environmental Concerns and Issues (May 24, 2016)
- NEPA and Mining 101, Part 1: Mining Fundamentals (May 12, 2016)
- CERCLA Section 108(b) Proposed Rule for Hard Rock Mining (April 29, 2016)
- Identifying the Potential for Methylation of Mercury at Mining Sites (2 hours) (March 29, 2016)
- Screening, Testing, and Application of Residuals and Byproducts for Remediation (December 2, 2015)
- Remedial Action, Remedy Performance, and Long-Term Land Management at the Anaconda Smelter NPL site (June 4,2015)
- Mine Tailings Fundamentals: Current Technology and Practice for Mine Tailings Facilities Operations and Closure, Part 1 and Part 2 (May 19, 2015)
- Water Treatment: Iron Mountain Mine and Bunker Hill Mining and Metallurgical Complex Superfund Sites (December 17, 2014)
- Mining Remediation and Sustainability (November 17, 2014)
- Using Biosolids and Coal Combustion Products for Soil Remediation at Mining Sites (July 24, 2014)
- Soil Amendment Applications and Mine Site Restoration Impacts on Soil Ecosystem Services (May 7, 2014)
- NARPM Presents...Ecological Revitalization Using Natural Materials (May 14, 2013)
- Mining-Influenced Water: Treatment Technologies (February 6, 2013)
- Mining-Influenced Water: Environmental Issues, Remediation Research, and Tools for Estimating Remediation Cost (September 19, 2012)
- Technology Transfer and Training Resources for Mining Sites (June 13, 2012)
Other CLU-IN Webinars
- Considerations for Bulkheading Draining Mine Tunnels (October 25, 2019)
- EPA Office of Science Policy's and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop Session 4 - Big Data (October 23, 2019)
- EPA Office of Science Policy's and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop Session 3 - Innovative Technologies and Strategies (October 16, 2019)
- EPA Office of Science Policy's Mine and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop Session 2 - Emergency Management (October 9, 2019)
- EPA Office of Science Policy's Mine and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop Session 1 - Site Characterization (October 2, 2019)
- Mining Site Metals: Exposure Pathways and Bio-Assays (September 3, 2013)
- Mine Tailings: Enumeration and Remediation (January 11, 2012)
- Phytostabilization of Mine Tailings in Arid and Semi-Arid Environments (July 25, 2007)
EPA's Region 10, ORD, and OSRTI hosted a three-part workshop series on hardrock mine geochemistry and hydrology in 2013. The goals included enhancing participants' understanding of the key issues regarding water chemistry predictions, identifying potential sources of contamination from mine sites, and describing practices to mitigate or reclaim facilities to protect natural resources. Presenters included experts from EPA Headquarters, Regions, and ORD; the U.S. Geological Survey; and the U.S. Forest Service. The workshops were open to all agencies, tribes, consultants, and the general public, and are now archived and available for streaming. Supplementary materials and resources provided by the instructors are also available for download below.
Workshop 1 - Evaluating Water Chemistry Predictions at Hardrock Mine Sites
- Mine Rock Characterization Tools and Methodologies Used to Predict the Potential for Acid Rock Drainage and Metal Mobility
- Predicting and Modeling Water Chemistry Associated with Hardrock Mine Sites
- Modeling Low-Temperature Geochemical Processes - D.K. Nordstrom
- Hydrogeochemical Processes Governing the Origin, Transport and Fate of Major and Trace Elements from Mine Wastes and Mineralized Rock to Surface Waters - D. Kirk Nordstrom
- Models, Validation, and Applied Geochemistry: Issues in Science, Communication, and Philosophy - D. Kirk Nordstrom
- Evaluating Remedial Alternatives for an Acid Mine Drainage Stream: Application of a Reactive Transport Model - Robert L. Runkel and Briant A. Kimball
- References for Mine Material Characterization and Predicting and Modeling Water Chemistry
Workshop 2 - Mining Influenced Waters - Pathways for Off-Site Releases
- Surface and Subsurface Hydrology at Hardrock Mine Sites
- Pathways of Contaminant Transport from Mining Areas
- Mining on National Forest System Land
Workshop 3 - Sampling, Monitoring and Remediation at Mine Sites
- Mine Drainage Control and Treatment Options
- Sampling and Monitoring at Mining Sites
- Sampling Considerations at Mining Sites
- Adobe Connect Archive | 11.6MB/PPT | 12.8MB/PDF
- Expanded presentation 5.2MB/PDF
- References 154KB/PDF
- Improving Data Quality with XRF and Incremental Sampling
- Approach for Environmental Baseline Water Sampling - K.S. Smith
- Comparison of Predicted and Actual Water Quality at Hardrock Mines: The reliability of predictions in Environmental Impact Statement - Jim Kuipers, P.E., Ann Maest, PhD
- Geologic Controls on the Composition of Natural Waters and Mine Waters Draining Diverse Mineral-Deposit Types - G.S. Plumlee, K.S. Smith, M.R. Montour, W.H. Ficklin, and E.L. Mosier
- EPA's Guidance on Systematic Planning Using the Data Quality Objectives Process
- Metal Sorption on Mineral Surfaces: An Overview with Examples Relating to Mineral Deposits - Kathleen S. Smith
- An Overview of the Abundance, Relative Mobility, Bioavailability, and Human Toxicity of Metals - Kathleen S. Smith and Holly L.O. Huyck
- Strategies to Predict Metal Mobility in Surficial Mining Environments - Kathleen Smith
- What's Weathering in Mine Waste? Mineralogic Evidence for Sources of Metals in Leachates - Sharon F. Diehl, Philip L. Hageman, Kathleen S. Smith, Koenig, A.E., Fey, D.L., and Lowers, H.A.
- Reconnaissance Sampling and Characterization of Mine-Waste Material - Kathleen S. Smith, Philip L. Hageman, Charles A. Ramsey, Thomas R. Wildeman, and James F. Ranville
- Acid Mine Drainage (AMD) & ART: Combining Science and Art
- Biosolids Recycling: Restore, Reclaim, Remediate
- Ecological Revitalization Resources Available through EPA - Part 1
- Ecological Revitalization Resources Available through EPA - Part 2
- Mine Tailings: Enumeration and Remediation
- Mine Waste Treatment Technology Selection
- NIEHS/EPA Metals - Remediation
- Phytostabilization of Mine Tailings in Arid and Semi-Arid Environments