Characterization, Cleanup, and Revitalization of Mining Sites
Training and Events
- ITRC's new Reuse of Solid Mining Waste Team will examine environmentally safe reprocessing and reuse of solid mining waste, such as tailings, chat and waste rock. The team will create technical guidance and training to identify best management practices and potential solutions to address technical and regulatory barriers for reuse of waste materials.
- The U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations is offering Technical Assistance to communities and organizations interested in pursuing clean energy projects on current and former mine land.
- Proceedings from the June 2022 Mine Water Solutions Conference held in Vancouver, Canada, featuring papers on active and passive treatment strategies, closure water management, and water and tailings management are available for review.
- Slides and audio for the latest webinar in our Mining Sites Webinar Series, Restoring the Community Fabric - Planning Redevelopment of the US Finishing/Cone Mills Superfund Site, are available to view and download in the CLU-IN archives.
Upcoming Internet Seminars
Check back soon for upcoming internet seminar offerings.↩
American Society of Reclamation Sciences Conference
June 4-7, 2023 | Boise, Idaho
The conference will offer technical sessions on a range of mining site reclamation topics.
June 5-6, 2023 | Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
Suggested topics for this symposium include bioremediation applications for the treatment, prevention, and prediction of AMD.
Mine Waste and Tailings Conference 2023
July 12-14, 2023 | Brisbane, Austrailia
Planned topics for this conference include mine water and AMD management, innovative mine waste management, and mine closure.
International Mine Water Association Conference 2023
July 17-21, 2023 | Newport, Wales
Suggested topics for this conference include passive treatment innovation, performance of mine water treatment systems, and cleanup and rehabilitation of legacy mines.
International Congress on Water Management in Mining and Industrial Processes
September 6-8, 2023 | Santiago, Chile
This 11th International Water Congress will explore water quality, effluent treatment, and environmental protection of water resources in the mining sector.
September 18-19, 2023 | Virtual/Hybrid
Mining sites and coal mines are proposed topics for this international event that will cover the latest developments in the remediation of contaminated sites and the application of new and sustainable technologies.
46th Annual BC Mine Reclamation Symposium — 2023
September 18-21, 2023 | Prince George, British Columbia
This symposium will address a range of reclamation practices including planning, implementation, monitoring, and indigenous leadership and partnerships in reclamation. A special session, "Mine Reclamation and Climate Change" is planned.
National Association of Abandoned Mine Land Programs 2023
September 24-27, 2023 | Chicago, Illinois
Suggested topics for NAAMPL's 44th annual conference include hardrock reclamation and remining and reclamation. Acid mine drainage case studies will also be presented.
16th International Conference on Mine Closure
October 2-5, 2023 | Reno, Nevada
This conference will explore a range of topics, including mine closure objectives and criteria, contaminant cleanup, water management, acid mine drainage, and outcome-based risk management. Case studies will also be presented.
International Conference on Environmental Remediation and Radioactive Waste Management
October 3-6, 2023 | Stuttgart, Germany
Planned topics for this conference include cleanup and closure of contaminated sites and minimizing impacts from uranium mining and milling.
2023 PA Abandoned Mine Reclamation Conference
October 24-26, 2023 | Altoona, Pennsylvania
The theme of this year's conference is "A Silver Lining in Pennsylvania's Legacy Abandoned Mines: Celebrating 25 Years" and will offer technical sessions on: new acid mine drainage treatment system technologies, tools, and products; land remediation, reforestation, and reuse; and operations, maintenance, and rehabilitation of treatment systems.
Tailings and Mine Waste 2023
November 5-8, 2023 | Vancouver, British Columbia
Event will explore the latest developments in managing mine waste and mill tailings with a focus on risk assessment and mitigation and the application of emerging technologies.
Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration Conference 2023
December 3-4, 2023 | Tucson, Arizona
Event is expected to explore the latest developments on mining projects and technical innovations in mining and environmental cleanups with a focus on mining challenges in the region.
Archived Internet Seminars, Videos, and Courses
Visit these links for copies of the presentation materials.
- Restoring the Community Fabric — Planning Redevelopment of the US Finishing/Cone Mills Superfund Site (May 2022)
- Ehrenfeld AML Pilot Reclamation/Recreation & Watershed Improvement Project (December 2021)
- Ecosystem Services — Benefits and Considerations for the Cleanup of Contaminated Mine Sites (September 2021)
- Mining Webinar Series: Assessment and Rehabilitation of Humid Region Mine Sites and Wastes (May 2021)
- Mining Webinar Series: Evaluation of Rotating Cylinder Treatment System™ at Elizabeth Mine, Vermont (March 2021)
- Revegetation of Mine Wastes in Arid Environments: Linking Above- and Below-Ground Performance (August 2020)
- Eagle Mine Superfund Site Case Study (January 21, 2020)
- Substrate Longevity and Long-Term Performance of Biochemical Reactors for Passive Treatment of Mine-Impacted Water (November 25, 2019)
- Mine and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop: Session 1 Site Characterization; Session 2 Emergency Management; Session 3 Innovative Technologies and Strategies; Session 4 Big Data (October 2019)
- Considerations for Bulkheading Drainage Mine Tunnels (October 2019)
- Long-Term Performance of Biochemical Reactors for Passive Treatment of Mine-Impacted Water (April 23, 2019)
- Successful Implementation of Biologically-Based Passive Remediation Systems (May 1, 2018)
- Ecological Revitalization at the Henry's Knob Former Mining Site (March 6, 2018)
- Matching Biochar Characteristics with Metals-Contaminated Soils to Effectively Reduce Metal Bioavailability at Mining Sites (November 7, 2017)
- FRTR Presents...Heavy Metals-Mining Site Characterization and Treatment Session 3 (August 10, 2017)
- FRTR Presents...Heavy Metals-Mining Site Characterization and Treatment Session 2 (July 26, 2017)
- FRTR Presents...Heavy Metals-Mining Site Characterization and Treatment Session 1 (July 10, 2017)
- Overview, Lessons Learned and Best Practices Derived from Independent Optimization Reviews of Superfund Mining Sites (May 24, 2017)
- Re-imagining the Future of Mining Sites (December 7, 2016)
- Passive Treatment of Mining-Influenced Water: From Bench Scale to O&M (November 14, 2016)
- NEPA and Mining 101, Part 3: Regulatory Process & How the Public and Tribes can Engage (June 8, 2016)
- NEPA and Mining 101, Part 2: Mining Environmental Concerns and Issues (May 24, 2016)
- NEPA and Mining 101, Part 1: Mining Fundamentals (May 12, 2016)
- CERCLA Section 108(b) Proposed Rule for Hard Rock Mining (April 29, 2016)
- Identifying the Potential for Methylation of Mercury at Mining Sites (2 hours) (March 29, 2016)
- Screening, Testing, and Application of Residuals and Byproducts for Remediation (December 2, 2015)
- Remedial Action, Remedy Performance, and Long-Term Land Management at the Anaconda Smelter NPL site (June 4,2015)
- Mine Tailings Fundamentals: Current Technology and Practice for Mine Tailings Facilities Operations and Closure, Part 1 and Part 2 (May 19, 2015)
- Water Treatment: Iron Mountain Mine and Bunker Hill Mining and Metallurgical Complex Superfund Sites (December 17, 2014)
- Mining Remediation and Sustainability (November 17, 2014)
- Using Biosolids and Coal Combustion Products for Soil Remediation at Mining Sites (July 24, 2014)
- Soil Amendment Applications and Mine Site Restoration Impacts on Soil Ecosystem Services (May 7, 2014)
- NARPM Presents...Ecological Revitalization Using Natural Materials (May 14, 2013)
- Mining-Influenced Water: Treatment Technologies (February 6, 2013)
- Mining-Influenced Water: Environmental Issues, Remediation Research, and Tools for Estimating Remediation Cost (September 19, 2012)
- Technology Transfer and Training Resources for Mining Sites (June 13, 2012)
Other CLU-IN Webinars
- Considerations for Bulkheading Draining Mine Tunnels (October 25, 2019)
- EPA Office of Science Policy's and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop Session 4 - Big Data (October 23, 2019)
- EPA Office of Science Policy's and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop Session 3 - Innovative Technologies and Strategies (October 16, 2019)
- EPA Office of Science Policy's Mine and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop Session 2 - Emergency Management (October 9, 2019)
- EPA Office of Science Policy's Mine and Mineral Processing Virtual Workshop Session 1 - Site Characterization (October 2, 2019)
- Mining Site Metals: Exposure Pathways and Bio-Assays (September 3, 2013)
- Mine Tailings: Enumeration and Remediation (January 11, 2012)
- Phytostabilization of Mine Tailings in Arid and Semi-Arid Environments (July 25, 2007)
EPA's Region 10, ORD, and OSRTI hosted a three-part workshop series on hardrock mine geochemistry and hydrology in 2013. The goals included enhancing participants' understanding of the key issues regarding water chemistry predictions, identifying potential sources of contamination from mine sites, and describing practices to mitigate or reclaim facilities to protect natural resources. Presenters included experts from EPA Headquarters, Regions, and ORD; the U.S. Geological Survey; and the U.S. Forest Service. The workshops were open to all agencies, tribes, consultants, and the general public, and are now archived and available for streaming. Supplementary materials and resources provided by the instructors are also available for download below.
Workshop 1 - Evaluating Water Chemistry Predictions at Hardrock Mine Sites
- Mine Rock Characterization Tools and Methodologies Used to Predict the Potential for Acid Rock Drainage and Metal Mobility
- Predicting and Modeling Water Chemistry Associated with Hardrock Mine Sites
» Detailed presentation descriptions and full archive
- Modeling Low-Temperature Geochemical Processes - D.K. Nordstrom
- Hydrogeochemical Processes Governing the Origin, Transport and Fate of Major and Trace Elements from Mine Wastes and Mineralized Rock to Surface Waters - D. Kirk Nordstrom
- Models, Validation, and Applied Geochemistry: Issues in Science, Communication, and Philosophy - D. Kirk Nordstrom
- Evaluating Remedial Alternatives for an Acid Mine Drainage Stream: Application of a Reactive Transport Model - Robert L. Runkel and Briant A. Kimball
- References for Mine Material Characterization and Predicting and Modeling Water Chemistry
Workshop 2 - Mining Influenced Waters - Pathways for Off-Site Releases
- Surface and Subsurface Hydrology at Hardrock Mine Sites
- Pathways of Contaminant Transport from Mining Areas
- Mining on National Forest System Land
» Detailed presentation descriptions and full archive
Workshop 3 - Sampling, Monitoring and Remediation at Mine Sites
- Mine Drainage Control and Treatment Options
- Sampling and Monitoring at Mining Sites
- Sampling Considerations at Mining Sites
- Adobe Connect Archive | 11.6MB/PPT | 12.8MB/PDF
- Expanded presentation 5.2MB/PDF
- References 154KB/PDF
- Improving Data Quality with XRF and Incremental Sampling
- Adobe Connect Archive | 9.3MB/PPT | 7.8MB/PDF
- Expanded presentation 9.23MB/PPT
» Detailed presentation descriptions and full archive
- Approach for Environmental Baseline Water Sampling - K.S. Smith
- Comparison of Predicted and Actual Water Quality at Hardrock Mines: The reliability of predictions in Environmental Impact Statement - Jim Kuipers, P.E., Ann Maest, PhD
- Geologic Controls on the Composition of Natural Waters and Mine Waters Draining Diverse Mineral-Deposit Types - G.S. Plumlee, K.S. Smith, M.R. Montour, W.H. Ficklin, and E.L. Mosier
- EPA's Guidance on Systematic Planning Using the Data Quality Objectives Process
- Metal Sorption on Mineral Surfaces: An Overview with Examples Relating to Mineral Deposits - Kathleen S. Smith
- An Overview of the Abundance, Relative Mobility, Bioavailability, and Human Toxicity of Metals - Kathleen S. Smith and Holly L.O. Huyck
- Strategies to Predict Metal Mobility in Surficial Mining Environments - Kathleen Smith
- What's Weathering in Mine Waste? Mineralogic Evidence for Sources of Metals in Leachates - Sharon F. Diehl, Philip L. Hageman, Kathleen S. Smith, Koenig, A.E., Fey, D.L., and Lowers, H.A.
- Reconnaissance Sampling and Characterization of Mine-Waste Material - Kathleen S. Smith, Philip L. Hageman, Charles A. Ramsey, Thomas R. Wildeman, and James F. Ranville
Additional Web-Based Training Archives
- Acid Mine Drainage (AMD) & ART: Combining Science and Art
- Biosolids Recycling: Restore, Reclaim, Remediate
- Ecological Revitalization Resources Available through EPA - Part 1
- Ecological Revitalization Resources Available through EPA - Part 2
- Mine Tailings: Enumeration and Remediation
- Mine Waste Treatment Technology Selection
- NIEHS/EPA Metals - Remediation
- Phytostabilization of Mine Tailings in Arid and Semi-Arid Environments